Monday, October 7, 2013

Painting Ordinary Everyday Landscapes Like Colorful Old Barns


I chose this watercolor of an ordinary everyday landscape because I wanted to share with you the beauty that surrounds us daily. This colorful old barn can be found just about anywhere you look. Does it have all these fancy colors? No. This is my artistic vision. Yours could be different.

I'm new to blogging so please bear with me.

I created this painting in several stages. First, the sketch. I drove by this old barn on my way to work everyday for a year and almost thought nothing of it. Until one day the light hit it just right and I thought "WOW! What amazing colors." I pulled to the side of the road, grabbed my pen and pad of paper and began to sketch. I made notes of how the metal shined and displayed its various rusty colors too.

I forgot about the sketch for another couple of months and by then had also changed jobs. I no longer go by this old barn but I do love the sketch. Anyway, I decided to do a representational painting of it from memory and here it is.

So, when looking for inspiration to paint... Keep these ordinary everyday landscape ideas in mind. It could be an old barn, and old farm house, something right in your backyard, or whatever your fancy. Just sketch and paint.

Please visit my website www.mikeprout.com to see other paintings as well.

Note: This painting was created on Arches 140lb Cold Press Block with Winsor and Newton transparent watercolor. It is an 11 x 14 painting.


No comments:

Post a Comment